Al’s lawn care department management spend much of their time reviewing the process and best practice for the needs of Kentucky’s turf. With the ever changing weather patterns of this area and the regulations of our government, we tailor our program to use products that are not only environmental friendly but will give each customer the best results possible. Our team will ensure that you have a weed free and beautiful, lush, green lawn. Whether you’re a residential customer, commercial client, or have an equine farm that needs lawn care – we have the program for you!
We have our year long program, which consists of 6 different rounds that are spaced out so that your yard has: 1) a pre-emergent weed barrier; 2) proper nutrition for a healthy soil and; 3) protection from intrusive broadleaf weeds. Along with our 6 step program, most our customers sign up for some type of seeding service(s) as well as soil amendments or aeration. The variety of services we offer is so broad that no matter what condition your yard is in, or what your needs are – we will be able to get your yard to its best looking potential! Call us today for an individually tailored, lawn analysis quote by a certified turf professional: 859-246-3970!
Our 6 Round Program
- Pre-emergent Weed Control with Crabgrass Prevention: Using a specialized pre-emergent [targeted to prevent crabgrass growth] along with a broadleaf weed control formula, we will target the growth of unsightly weeds from your turf and the yard will be ready to foster new grasses instead of intrusive weeds. This step also includes trace amounts of nitrogen in order to kick-start an early green-up.
- Broadleaf Herbicide: The goal of this service is to control weeds that have germinated with spring rains and provides a second pre-emergent to fight crabgrass. We are able to target a large spectrum of broadleaf weeds to create an optimum environment for healthy grasses to populate.
- Summer Fertilizer: The third round is meant to feed your soil as the weather warms into summer, and a third of this fertilizer has a slow-release coat on it – which allows for a consistent release of nutrients. The soil/grass is consistently fed throughout the entire summer and this round also offers trace amounts of iron so this will green up your turf even more. This product could be tailored to include our specialized blend of grub control to attack the pests in your turf before they become a problem. This is an additional cost, but nothing compared to the damage that grubs could cause to your yard.
- Fall Broadleaf Herbicide: Since a lot of weeds are still germinating into the summer months, this service allows for the turf to maintain a weed-free barrier on the systemic level and keep room for healthy grasses to emerge.
- Fall Fertilizer: This round continues to put down a slow release fertilizer and it is formulated to focus on color and root stability. This process allows for the chlorophyll product to be produced, which in turn, yields a stronger, greener turf.
- Winterizing Fertilizer: This round focuses on giving the soil some nutrients, keeping it healthy until the temperatures of winter creep in, and stoping the microbes from breaking the fertilizers down. Come February, or late winter, some of this fertilizer is left over and as soon as the temperature rises, these nutrients are starting to be absorbed again.
Ask for a free quote or for a certified lawn care professional to create an individual plan for your yard! 859-246-3970!
Aeration (Spring and/or Fall Seasons):
Aeration is the process in which a technician runs an aerator machine, with 8’’ long tines across the turf pulling out ‘plugs’ and penetrating the soil about 3-4’’ depending on the soil compaction and moisture level. This process will leave thousands of plugs on top of your soil and once the rains come, will allow for the de-compaction of the soil and naturally start to amend unhealthy soils. Breaking the soil threshold and actually removing these plugs allow for more oxygen to be absorbed along with a higher amount of water retention. Aeration is a service that is recommended at least once per year, or maybe twice if your soil has not been privy to lawn aeration in the last few years. Soil compaction is one of the most common problems in Kentucky lawns, mainly due to the large amount of clay. Combating this is key to a healthy soil where roots can not only grow, but take up the necessary nutrients. This is why we offer our aeration services.
Dethatching is the process of ripping up and/or disturbing the ‘thatch’ or dead organic material that is lying directly on top of the soil, but beneath the grass. Yards that have been thinning through the years, or that have not been adequately taken care of, often have large amounts of thatch. No amount of premium seed will help thicken yards like these, because the seed-to-soil contact is the crucial part in thickening your turf. Knowing the difference between dethatching/aerating and understanding which will have a better effect of your yard is crucial to getting the results you desire. One of our professionally licensed team members would be more than happy to come by for a visit and offer a quote at your request.
Overseeding (Spring and Fall Seasons)
Every successful lawn care program has three things consistent in maintaining a pristine yard: 1) weed control/prevention; 2) fertilizer and; 3) seeding and/or aeration.
Our Fall Aeration service is a good option for turfs that are still compacted and in need of nutrient retention and water absorption. Aeration is a service that is recommended at least once per year, or maybe twice if your soil has not been privy to lawn aeration in the last few years.
Keep in mind that the fall season will yield a higher germination rate versus the spring season. Not to say that you will not benefit from both, but at different rates.
Our Spring Aeration and Overseeding is for those lawns that were in distress last year and received little, if no prior seeding and/or aeration. This treatment is recommended to be paired with Fall Aeration and Overseed as well, because this service should only be offered to severely distressed turfs OR to remedy a smaller area.
Fall seeding is our most popular and most recommended premium service that we offer. Our Fall Aeration and Overseeding is highly advised on a yearly basis to negate the annual loss of healthy turf. We use an advanced aeration machine that has rotating tines that plug holes, or pellets in the ground about 4-4.5’’ deep. This process allows for dethatching, soil de-compaction and allows for the soil to uptake vital nutrients and increased moisture absorption.
Once the aeration process is complete, we recommend using a premium seed blend tailored to your specific needs that consist of local breeds of grass that will ensure quick, healthy growth of turf grass. We apply a healthy amount of seed, and this service is only successful when the client is able to keep a schedule of consistent watering – about once every other day, with one time in the morning and one in the evening. *** Watering schedules may differ due to shade conditions, turf composition, or weather patterns – please allow our professional technicians to analyze your individual needs for a successful overseeding.
Similar to our overseeding service, but this process is used with a powerseeder which forces seed down into the ground and yields a higher germination rate than its counterpart because the seeds are placed at an exact depth. This service is more tailored to bare areas that are devoid of grass, but can also be used to extremely thicken up your yard.
Grub Control (pre-emergent and post-emergent)
Whether you have a hunch and think that grubs/turf insects will be bad the upcoming year, or find yourself in the midst of a grub epidemic – we’ll have you covered! This product can be included in your 3rd round of our 6 round program or can be a standalone service. Whatever the case, we can make sure that your turf is a hospitable environment for healthy grass systems.
Crabgrass, Nutsedge, and Violet specific treatments
These services are tailored to individuals’ yards where one of these intrusive weeds are widespread. We formulate a special chemical blend that attacks the selective weed and does not harm the surrounding turf or environment.
These pesky little creatures can invade even the healthiest of turfs – and we have a few products that are not widely used, but extremely effective. The most effective option entails a two visit process, about 10 days apart, to take care of the entire colony.
Our Iron Oxide (FeO) treatments, also referred to as Flash Treatments, are something that no other company in Kentucky has started doing yet. Although we, and other companies as well, some iron to be mixed in with a couple rounds of the fertilizers, a stand-alone treatment yields much better results at a much faster pace. This treatment automatically targets the areas above the root system and gives the turf a dark green color that makes our lawns stand out above the others. This service is recommended in times of drought or before an event so that your yard looks its best!